Monday, October 19, 2009

Roasted Butternut and Parmesan


Squash is so plentiful this time of year, isn't it? I look at it on my counter and think "Squash again? Really Maureen--again!?" So I try and recreate this winter delight as much as I can when I make it for the family--as for my own self I can eat it the same way day after day.
I am a firm believer in nature providing our body with a lot of the nutrients we need during the times our body will be needing it. Squash is a seasonal vegetable rich with potassium, vitamin A, B vitamins omega fats--all crucial for helping us remain healthy during the cold and flu season. Native Americans values the winter squashes so much they buried them with their dead to provide them with sustenance in the journey to the afterlife.

As for the second ingredients in this dish--really who does not like cheese? If you have no dairy issues that is. (emails will float in now about the lactose intolerance people and my own intolerance to them)

So without further delay:

Roasted Butternut and Parmesan
serves all who arrive to the table in time

1 large butternut Squash
1 cup Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil a 9x9 baking dish. Peel, cut open and seed the squash--the easiest way i do this is I seperate the stem from the belly (rounded bottom) , the top you can just peel and chop. The belly you can scoop out the seeds easily if you slice it in half then peel the bottom and dice it up--(I should have taken pictures of how I did this, sorry)

Cube the squash up into 1" cubes and toss them into the baking pan and cover with the cheese and bake on the middle shelf in the oven until the squash is tender--about 35 minutes. We served ours with pork roast but this would be great with any bird as well!

Simple and so different than the mashed or boiled squash you have been use to!

No comments:

Post a Comment