Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cheese and Sweet Potato Crisp


Sweet Crisps--yummy! I found a version of these while surfing sweet potato recipes on Epicurious. These were chewy and crunchy and reminded me of the home-fried potato patties I would eat as a little girl. Only--these are better for you. Making these by hand proved to be more tedious than I would have expected--so if you have a hand grater--please note you will be adding some good muscular work to your dinner preparation. You will be finely grating 2 good sized sweet potatoes--which sounds easy--but I have 4 words that make it difficult for me A-D-H-D. While I was shredding them my mind wanted me to check my email, go fold laundry, look out the window, check the sale status of our books, water plants, reorganize closets--you get the picture, and if you do not--then you probably also have ADHD and are now checking your email because I suggested it to you! ;-)

So, I of course enlisted a bit more help with the grating of the tuber--in the form of my lovely assistant and 7 year old daughter. She was once again super excited to help out and to know she would be added to the Squeaky Gourmet blog--special thanks to her as she kept me more focused on the task at hand!

Next you have to squeeze out the juice of the potato, now I was thinking it would be pretty basic as they seem to be pretty dry root vegetables--wrong! I did use the screen I have for making Greek yogurt and it was an easy task as well as fascinating that it holds as much water as it does. No wonder these are so good for you! Side point, also interesting, when you poor out the liquid oyu are left with what looks like wet corn starch. OK, yes it is potato starch--I was fascinated. This picture shows the amount of liquid in one potato--just under 1/4 cup! Crazy--so now we have worked out arms and our grip strength in just making this appetizer/side dish. It is like chopping firewood since it warms you twice, good for the body to prepare and to consume!



After you squeeze out the juice they look like chewed up paper, lacking the life luster they held prior to the abuse they underwent to get to this state. Poor cousin to Mr. Potato!


Ok so let's assemble this mess into the glorious snack delight they are destined to become!


Sweet Potato Crisps
makes about a dozen
2 medium sized sweet potatoes--peeled shredded and water forced out
1 ounce Romano cheese --shredded
1 ounce Parmesan cheese--shredded
1 egg white
2 tsp fresh sage chopped finely

Heat oven to 425 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Mix all the ingredients together and form them into 2" diameter circles onto the parchment paper. ( I had no parchment paper for making mine so I oiled the pan with 1tsp olive oil)

Cook until the edges are browned and they are a deep orange in colors--about 15 minutes. Serve Warm!

Calories Per Crisp
Calories: 48
Carbohydrates- 6 grams
Fat- 1 gram
Protein- 2 grams

Other good ideas:
--add different spices garlic, lemon you name it you try it!
-- use as an appetizer for a party

also, if you click any image in this blog you will explode--err I mean you can see a larger size of the images shared.

This post is now part of Real Food Wednesdays--check it out!

7 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and I love sweet potatoes! Will have to give this one a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! Your daughter seems like another natural in the kitchen! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sweet potatoes but I've never tried making it this way..Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks great and makes a great side dish to hearty meaty meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow never would have thought to do that. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to try this, thanks for this great new way of making sweet potatos. Yum!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm, I'll bet these would be great pan-fried in lots of butter, too!

    Thanks for sharing, and I'm stumbling right now... :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete